The BNP Paribas Group is committed to delivering the best possible service to you while maintaining the confidence that you place in us. As part of this, we have adopted strong principles across the Group to ensure the protection of your data.
As such, we would like to provide you with transparent information about how we place, use and store cookies on your device when you use our website and/or our mobile application, www.bnpparibas.ie (the “Website” and/or “Application”) and present you with the options to manage and/or to delete cookies.
What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text, image or software files that are placed on your device when you access our Website and/or use our Application. The word “device”, when used in this Cookies Policy, refers notably to computers, smartphones, tablets and all other devices used for accessing the internet.
Cookies may be either: (i) session specific, meaning that they are deleted from your device once the session and browser are closed; or (ii) persistent meaning that they will remain on your device until they are removed.
Cookies perform a number of useful functions, such as to:
- Authenticate and identify you on our Website and/or Application in order to provide you with services that you have requested;
- Enhance the security of the Website and/or Application, including to prevent fraudulent use of login credentials and protect user data from access by unauthorised parties;
- Monitor your use of our Website and/or Application in order to improve them;
- Enhance your user experience by adapting and tailoring the content on the Website and/or Application to your interests and providing more relevant BNP Paribas ads and content to you on non-BNP Paribas websites and non-BNP Paribas applications;
- Remember information that you have provided to us (e.g. to automatically populate forms with information that you have previously provided to us so that you can log on more quickly);
- Keep track of your preferences and settings in your use of our Website and/or Application (e.g. time zone etc.) and;
- Send you personalised advertising notably based on your browsing history and your preferences online.What kind of information can be stored in a cookie?
What kind of information can be stored in a cookie?
The information stored by the cookies on your device may relate to the following, subject to their retention periods:
- the webpages you have visited on that device;
- the advertisements you have clicked on;
- the type of browser you use;
- your IP address; and
- any other information that you have provided on our Website and/or Application.
What kinds of cookies do we use and for what purpose?
Cookies used on our Websites and/or Applications are classified into different categories set out below. Please note that some of these cookies are placed on your device by third parties. We provide further details regarding these third party cookies and how you can manage your preferences in respect of these types of cookies in sections 4 and 5 below.
- Strictly necessary cookies (mandatory, set automatically does not require your consent )
These cookies are essential for the Website / Application to function properly. They may include, for example, cookies which collect session ID and authentication data. This category also includes cookies that allow us to comply with our legal obligations, including ensuring a safe online environment (for example by detecting repeated login failures in order to prevent unauthorised persons from reaching your account).
This website uses Matomo analytics cookies which is strictly necessary. However, you can disable this cookie by clicking below.
- Preference cookies (subject to your consent)
These cookies allow us, and our partners, to personalise the content and features on the Website and / or the Application, and in particular, the display of products and services we offer. These cookies are used to improve your user experience and our Website and/or Application.
- Analytics cookies (subject to your consent)
These cookies allow us, and our partners, to understand how users arrive on our Website and / or Application, to measure the number of visitors to our Website and / or Application, but also to analyse the way in which visitors browse the Website and/or Application and create a better understanding of their customer journey.
This helps us improve the way our Websites and/or Applications work by ensuring, for example, that users easily find what they are looking for.
- Advertising cookies and tracking cookies (subject to your consent)
There are different categories of cookies used to provide you with advertising. Information obtained through advertising cookies is frequently shared with our partners through the use of third-party cookies. You can find more information on these partners in section 4 of this Cookies Policy.
– Personalized advertising cookies: These cookies are used to provide you with adverts more tailored to you and your interests. These cookies record your visit to our Website and/or Application, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We, and our partners, use this information in order to personalise our Website and/or Application and the advertisements therein, if any, according to your areas of interest.
These cookies can also be used by us, and our partners, to display personalised advertisements of our products on other websites/applications, to measure the effectiveness of an advertising campaign, to limit the frequency of distribution (that is to say to limit the number of times that you see an advertisement), affiliate advertising, click fraud detection, market research, product improvement, and debugging.
– Non-personalized advertising cookies: These cookies allow us, and our partners, to display advertisements that are not personalised to your profile. These cookies are used to measure the performance of a marketing campaign.
– Geolocation advertising cookies: These cookies allow us, and our partners, to show you personalised advertising based on your location (location-based advertising).
- Social networks and content sharing cookies (subject to your consent)
– Social network cookies: These cookies allow us, and our partners, to share information with the social networks used on our Websites and/or Applications.
The display of this type of content on our Websites and/or Applications shares information about your browsing activity on our Websites/Applications with the social networks used.
– Content sharing cookies: These cookies allow us, and our partners, to offer you the viewing on our Website / Application of content hosted on an external site.
The visualization of this type of content on our Websites and/or Applications involves sharing information with the hosting site about your browsing activity on our Websites and/or Applications.
You will find in section 4 and 5 of this Cookies Policy more information about the partners as well as explanations on how you can set up your preferences.
In this context, who places the cookies on your device (for example, a BNP Paribas Group entity or a partner)?
When you select which types of cookies you allow on your device, the cookies may be deposited directly by us or by one of our partners.
From a practical point of view, this means that when “third-party” cookies are placed on your device, our partners will also be able to access the information they the third-party cookies contain (such as, for example, your browsing statistics when you allow third-party analysis cookies).
How can you manage cookies?
To see the different categories of cookies that we use on the Website and/or Application and configure your choices, you can consult the cookie management module accessible [at the bottom of the page]. You can modify your preferences (for example, withdraw your consent and/or reconfirm your consent) at any time.
Please note that the use of strictly necessary cookies, which are cookies which are strictly necessary for the proper functioning the Website and/or Application, does not require your consent. This is why the option “strictly necessary cookies” is pre-checked in our cookie management tool and is not optional.
By refusing certain types of cookies (preference cookies for example), we will not be able to optimise your user experience on our Website and/or Application and some parts may not function properly.
By default, in relation to persistent cookies, we save your cookie choices on a device for a maximum of 6 months. If you change your mind about the preferences you have expressed regarding cookies, you can update your choices at any time, by following the below link. We will ask you to make a choice again every 6 months.